Friday, June 11, 2010

meke!

the days are flying by! yesterday was a big festival for the province of rewa and me and other volunteers performed a 'meke'.  its a traditional fijian dance, where the movements convey the meaning of the song.  it was the coolest thing ive done here so far.  we performed in front of a few thousand people, one being the princess of fiji (also a chief, which is extremely rare)!! here are some pictures...

my house brother is helping get me ready. the brown material is tapa, super expensive and made from trees.  the darker brown is special because only chiefly families have them/wear them and lucky me i'm staying with one. 

there was also video taken, i'll get the link and post it so you can see (yay technology!)

and i'm in the newspaper, mom and dad i'll send one home.  and i'll try to find a scanner so everyone else can see!

other fun news:
*i find out where i'm placed in a week
*natural beauty by neil young is my current favorite song
*the clouds are so big and beautiful here, nothing like i've ever seen before
*my hair is  huge and frizzy (you can't tell in the photos because the ladies drenched me in coconut oil)
* 'un día te encontre en un otro sol' is my favorite line from the poetry i've been reading
*i had my first sulu jaba made, i'll have to post a picture later
*everyone in fiji has an amazing voice, no joke,  people just break out into song and im stunned every time. this morning i woke up a choir singing down the street and the screams from an all weekend rugby tournament, oh fiji.


i hope this makes you laugh:
a typical conversation between a peace corp volunteer
person 1: hey! how was your day?
person 2 (in an extremely heavy southern accent): ah so cool, i got to learn how to do bee keeping, where'd you go?
person 1: i got do learn how to make large scale fish ponds.  i think i'm going to try and make one in my future village.
person 2: i can't wait to go to that training. guess what, i learned how to say my age in fijian, it's ruasangavulu ka tolu.
person 1: number are ridiculous. hey i gotta go, my house dad wants me to help milk the cows today.
person 2: okay, i saw the bull in your village the other day, its huge! have fun
person 1; oh i know! later
literally, these are the things we talk about haha

i hope everyone is doing great! thank for the letters, each one makes my day. love you! 


5 comments:

  1. Hi I was wondering if you knew anything about public health programs in the pacific islands? I have been nominated and was asked to read about other volunteers who served there..

    Thanks,
    Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  2. email: mansour.11487@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.

    My name is Pravin and I was a volunteer in Fiji from 05-08. Were the fish ponds and beekeeping projects at Saraswati College just outside of Nausori? If so, those were the projects I worked on! My site was Saraswati! I really enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with what PCVs are doing in the Feej. Good luck with site announcements, it's really an exciting time! Give my loloma to everyone!

    Pravin

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PERSON I HAVE EVER MET MONICA CLAIRE DRAZBABABABABABABA. Everyday I think about you, EVERYDAY! I hope you put that funny convo in there for me because you know how much your lil sis loves to laugh :) I love you more than zeke ever will REMEMBER THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. heyyy! they were the sawaswati ponds and they were super cool! no one is replacing the volunteer there though so we hope it stays. hope things are wonderful where ever you are. fiji love right back to ya.

    ReplyDelete